Find a Lawyer and Affordable Legal Aid
If you ever need legal help and run into the situation where you can’t afford a lawyer know that you can get affordable legal aid. Some attorneys specialize in a certain field of law, such as business, civil, criminal, or juvenile law. Once you determine which type of attorney is right for your legal situation, you should ask about their experience, areas of expertise. Questions such as, "How would you handle my case?" and "Have you had similar cases in the past?" and "What do you charge for your services/what is your fee structure?"
Word of mouth referral is likely better as you can get a real life review but you can also check the phone book and can find legal aid online.
Find Free and Low-Cost Legal Services
- Legal Services Corporation (LSC) - Find legal aid for low-income individuals and families.
- Pro Bono Directory Map - Locate free legal help by state.
- Free Legal Answers - If you have a low income and qualify for the program, you can submit your questions about civil law issues online to the American Bar Association and get answers for free from volunteer lawyers.
- LawHelp.org - Locate free legal aid programs in your community. Find information about your legal rights by topic, such as housing, divorce, child support, and debt collection.
Get Help from Your State Consumer Protection Office
- Contact your state consumer protection office, which is often part of the state attorney general’s office, for help resolving consumer issues. Depending on the state and office, they may mediate complaints, conduct investigations, prosecute offenders of consumer laws, and advocate for consumer rights. Note: Your state consumer office cannot represent you in a case or against a company.
Find Legal Resources for Specific Groups
- Immigration Legal Services - Search your state for free legal services providers for individuals in immigration proceedings.
Military and Veterans
- Stateside Legal - Find free legal help for military members, veterans, and their families.
- Legal Help for Veterans - Find free legal clinics and other resources from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Armed Forces Legal Assistance - Find nearby military installations with legal assistance offices.
People with Disabilities
- National Disability Rights Network - Locate legal advocacy service providers by state for people with disabilities.